The European Migration Network (EMN) is the EU initiative, aim of which is to meet the information needs of the European Union institutions and its Member States’ and Norway’s authorities by providing up-to-date, objective, reliable and comparable information on migration and asylum, with a view to support policy-making on national and EU level in these areas. In addition, the EMN also focuses on providing this information to the public..
The legal basis of the EMN is formed by the Council Decision 2008/381/EC of 14 May 2008. The EMN activity is coordinated by the European Commission (namely Directorate-General for Migration and Home Affairs) in cooperation with the EMN National Contact Points (NCPs) designated by the EU Member States and Norway which are at the same time creating national networks composed of a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
The EMN National Contact Point (EMN NCP) for the Slovak Republic is composed of institutions designated by the Agreement between the Government of the Slovak Republic and International Organization for Migration (IOM) on coordination of the EMN activities of 20 July 2009. These institutions are:
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Office in the Slovak Republic (coordinator of the EMN NCP for the Slovak Republic);
- Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic (Migration Office of the Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic, Bureau of Border and Alien Police of the Police Corps Presidium, Department of International and European Affairs of the Office of the Minister of Interior);
- Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family of the Slovak Republic;
- Statistical Office of the Slovak Republic.
The EMN activities in the Slovak Republic are financed by the European Union and by the state budget of the Slovak Republic (chapter Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic) and they include mainly:
- Preparation of annual policy reports on migration and asylum;
- Preparation of studies on selected topics in terms of secondary research;
- Management of the EMN ad-hoc queries mechanism;
- Building contacts at national and international level.
EMN National Contact Point for the Slovak Republic
International Organization for Migration (IOM) – Office in the Slovak Republic
Grösslingová 35, 811 09 Bratislava, Slovakia
Tel.: 00421 2 5262 3335
Fax: 00421 2 5263 0093
All EMN outputs are available on: www.emn.sk; www.ec.europa.eu/emn.
EMN activities in Slovakia are funded by the European Union’s Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund and co-funded by the Ministry of Interior of the Slovak Republic.